Bright Moments New Yorker - SubDAO Signer Application

Bright Moments is seeking applications for two signers of our New York SubDAO, Bright Moments New York.

The creation of this SubDAO was first outlined in CryptoCitizen Governance: Phase 2 and expanded upon in Nominate local “Council Members” to operate city specific wallets. SubDAO applications for our Berlin chapter can be found here: Bright Moments Berlin - SubDAO Signer Application

Background

The Core Team operates the primary multisig for the DAO, brightmoments.eth, and is progressively decentralizing management of local communities through the creation of SubDAO multisig wallets:

Signer Roles & Responsibilities

Signers are expected to:

• Manage the day to day operations of the Bright Moments New York chapter (10-20 hours per week to start)
  • Coordinate physical community activities, including meetups, artist exhibitions, and live minting experiences
  • Grow the online community through Discord management and social media outreach
  • Propose and execute transactions within the newyork.brightmoments.eth multisig
  • Manage a starting multisig budget in the 10-50 ETH range, incl. minted CryptoNewYorker NFTs, and work to grow the community treasury through profitable business operations
  • Grow a team of part-time contributors to assist with any of the activities above
  • Expand to full-time roles as needed based on the successful growth of the operation

Functionally, as a signer you will be a cofounder of the New York community. You will have significant autonomy in your day-to-day role and the support of the international Bright Moments brand. The success of the SubDAO will be based on the work ethic, strategic decisions, and support from the signers and local New York community.

This is a 1-year term, with the option to extend based on an additional review and community voting process after a year has passed.

Application Process

Applications open starting on Wednesday, June 8th and end Sunday, June 19th at 11:59p CET.

To apply, email your responses to the following questions to jobs@brightmoments.io with the subject line: Bright Moments New York: Signer Application

Important: We will be publicly sharing applications unless otherwise requested to do so. Applications will be shared after the deadline has passed to avoid giving an advantage to applicants who apply later in the process. If you do not want us to share your application on the governance forum, please indicate so in the first line of your email to us when submitting your application.

The Bright Moments core team will respond to all applicants by EOD Thursday, June 23rd. Applicants chosen to move to the next round will be asked to visit the Bright Moments gallery or a nearby location for a 15 minute in-person interview.

Two candidates will be selected by the Core Team and nominated for a community vote. Any nominees will be required to receive a 51% approval rating and 1% quorum from CryptoNewYorkers.

After the community vote has concluded, signers who have reached the approval requirements will start their term on the following Monday.

Application

Personal

• Ethereum address:
  • ENS name:
  • Name:
  • Twitter:

How long have you lived in New York? Do you live here currently?

Video Introduction

Please enter the url of a 1 minute unlisted (not private) YouTube video introducing yourself. This video is an important part of the application.

In the video you should introduce yourself, explain why you’re interested in being a signer, and tell us about your plan to build the community.

The video should be 1 minute long and should contain nothing except yourself talking. Please do not include a PowerPoint presentation or any video effects. We want to focus on substance, not editing skills. Don’t read from a script – just speak naturally as though you are talking to a friend.

Experience

• Please describe an interesting project (outside of work or school) that you have built or created. This does not have to involve crypto (although crypto projects are fine too).
  • Describe your 100 day plan for the Bright Moments New York chapter. What will you do your first week? Your first month?
  • What is something you believe about DAOs that most people don’t agree with?

Miscellaneous

• How did you hear about Bright Moments? If you have minted a CryptoCitizen, please describe your experience.
  • What other communities or projects are you involved with?
  • What is one thing you have learned from other crypto projects that you believe Bright Moments could benefit from?
  • What should holders of all ten CryptoCitizen city collections be entitled to when the project is complete?
1 Like

Kacey and Dan have agreed to share their applications publicly. I’ve reproduced them below:

@kcdilla

Application

Personal

• Ethereum address: 0x269D89631ba588a6994bF5A0DccB2A86573781fC
  • ENS name: kcdilla.eth
  • Name: Kacey (kcdilla)
  • Twitter: @kcdilla_eth

How long have you lived in New York? Do you live here currently?

I was born and raised in New Jersey about an hour from Manhattan. After high school, I moved to California for college and then moved back to the New York area about two years ago.

Video Introduction

Experience

• Please describe an interesting project (outside of work or school) that you have built or created. This does not have to involve crypto (although crypto projects are fine too).

I created Project WANA (we are not alone) which is an Web3/NFT project dedicated to de-stigmatizing and increasing access to mental health care. In March, I launched the genesis collection consisting of digital illustrations and animations. Since then I’ve been working on my next collection, a generative art project that combines art and biometrics to depict our emotions and inner selves. My goal is for people to feel understood by experiencing the art, and over time create tools and resources for mental health support.

• Describe your 100 day plan for the Bright Moments New York chapter. What will you do your first week? Your first month?

During my first week, I’ll speak with the local community and core team members to hear their perspectives and ideas for the New York chapter. These conversations will help me gain feedback on my ideas as well as spark new ones.

During my first month, I’d like to start hosting regular meetups and connecting with local artists and enthusiasts who can speak at our events, teach workshops, or participate in small group discussions. The goal is to bring our community back together and start planning art shows with local artists for the coming months. In addition, I would start searching for our more permanent NY gallery location.

During my first 100 days, my goal is to form a persistent community that grows organically through engaging events and partnerships. By this time, we’d ideally have a permanent location to anchor our community. I’d like to support local artists through educational resources, creator office hours, and project spotlight. By organizing consistent art shows, we will be able to support artists, create exclusive opportunities for our collectors, and sustain the NY chapter. I intend to plan our calendar in advance, while remaining flexible as we learn and gain feedback from our community.

• What is something you believe about DAOs that most people don’t agree with?

I believe that DAOs provide an important step toward more transparency and decentralization, although there are still many challenges to face such as security, concentration of voting power, and how to most effectively make decisions.

Miscellaneous

• How did you hear about Bright Moments? If you have minted a CryptoCitizen, please describe your experience.

I first heard about Bright Moments through my brother who had a reservation to mint a CryptoNewYorker. I was interested in crypto and NFTs at the time, but I didn’t know anyone else in NY with similar interests. I attended the minting with my brother, it was so exciting to meet other people who were into NFT’s. I kept returning to the gallery during office hours, and tried my luck with raffles to try and win a NewYorker. I ended up winning one in a meme contest and minted my CryptoNewYorker on New Years eve! I continued attending the meetups and events at Bright Moments, getting to know others in the community, always leaving feeling energized and inspired.

In addition to starting Project WANA and my involvement with Bright Moments over the past year, I’ve been engaged in the Artblocks and fxhash communities. Other communities include Fewo World, myBFF, MEV army, and 10ktf.

• What is one thing you have learned from other crypto projects that you believe Bright Moments could benefit from?

One thing I’ve learned from communities such as 10ktf is the power of narrative, gamification, and surprise to reward active followers and participants. The allure of an engaging story and rewarding active participants, even if it’s small, can go a long way. I’m interested in utilizing these learnings by creating engaging experiences for our New York community. One way in which we achieve this is through a $CTZN token which has already been proposed and would create an interesting rewards system.

• What should holders of all ten CryptoCitizen city collections be entitled to when the project is complete?

By the time all ten cities are minted, I’d imagine there will be reward systems set up in the existing cities. Holding all ten cities could unlock a special tier of rewards. This may be an ongoing benefit to incentivize collecting all cities over time. It’d also be nice to mark the completion of the project with a special piece of memorabilia sent to those holders. They could have a special name, like “World Citizens,” with a gated discord channel.

@raptornews

Personal

• Ethereum address: 0x764aBE778aa96Cd04972444a8E1DB83dF13f7E66 (Most active wallet)
  • ENS name: raptornews.eth
  • Name: Dan Tak
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/RaptorNews3
  • How long have you lived in New York? Do you live here currently? Grew up in NYC, spent several years in Kaneohe, Hawaii and the Bay Area. Returned to NYC in 2007, been here for the past 15 years. I currently live in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Video Introduction

Experience

• Please describe an interesting project (outside of work or school) that you have built or created. This does not have to involve crypto (although crypto projects are fine too). One project that I’m proud to have helped establish is a free youth summer basketball league. As a volunteer at a local nonprofit, we organized a handful of schools and teams from the Manhattan Chinatown community. The league just marked its tenth year and has been fully funded and free to students/teams the entire time; we now have around 150 students across 16 teams each summer. It has been incredibly rewarding to have students come back even after they have aged out, to volunteer, coach, or cheer on their younger siblings and teammates. Link to a fun older sizzle reel "We Run As One" Youth Basketball Promo - YouTube
  • Describe your 100 day plan for the Bright Moments New York chapter. What will you do your first week? Your first month? First week - Not necessarily in this order: Meet with the Bright Moments team and other NYC subdao signer, discuss lessons learned, potential priorities, familiarize ourselves with the essential duties and divvy them up. Have a longer discussion with fellow subdao signer about what our goals might be for the next year. First month - Speak to members in person and receive feedback/ideas via chat or survey of what the community would be most interested in. Formally introduce the subdao signers at a local meetup. Propose our vision of the NYC subdao, and what we are passionate about. See if there are members with proposals of their own and/or how they would like to be actively involved. First 100 days - Broadly speaking, execute on some of the ideas the community has while remaining flexible. One thing I have noticed at Bright Moments NYC is how many NFT curious artists/creators attend the meetups. I would love to help onboard more of them into the NFT space and help elevate them. I picture regular vibrant events focused on education, workshops, and displaying work from the community. We would still need to find sponsors and creative ways to generate revenue to cover rent and event costs.
  • What is something you believe about DAOs that most people don’t agree with? I don’t know if this is a controversial opinion: I believe the autonomous structure of DAOs can sometimes be inefficient in cases where expediency might be required. In DAOs with only a few active contributing members, it might be difficult to reach a quorum, or governance may be too centralized to few select members. I am excited to see how DAO’s evolve and address some of these pain points.

Miscellaneous

I had some friends from LA mention Bright Moments and CryptoCitizens to me in Fall 2021. I started attending BM meetups in NYC, met some great folks and core team members there. I attended NFT Art Berlin and had an amazing time minting my first citizen, befriending collectors and artists, and experiencing freshly minted artwork together. I minted my second CryptoCitizen at Bright Moments London this summer and loved that as well. I’m hooked!

I’m involved in several NFT communities/projects as an active member or collector. Mostly interested in generative art, crypto art, and onchain projects/communities. I actively attend a good number of NFT events in NYC and travel to events in different cities as well. I also work with a generative artist, minimizer with their art projects. Non-web3 in New York, I’m plugged into some of the Asian-American professionals and youth non-profit communities.

Most crypto/NFT projects reward members that are able to stay informed or jump through any necessary hoops to “optimize” membership. That may lead to some more engaged members but at the cost of leaving some members of the community behind due to time or complexity to “work for those rewards”. No good examples of other projects come to mind at the moment because I think a lot of projects struggle with the same problem: trying to keep mechanics relatively simple, while also innovating and doing something novel.

Participating in this experiment together with five more cities remaining, I think it’s hard to say or promise anything now. And I wouldn’t want to use the word entitled… Not to sound idyllic but for folks that hold all ten CryptoCitizens, I would hope the real reward was the friends you made, and experiences you had along the way? Maybe a global meetup or annual reunion, some sort of experience to commemorate collectors.

1 Like